Monday, July 29, 2013

A Family Favorite

There isn't a single member of my family or friends who doesn't LOVE my family's Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas. They are a delicious comfort food, with a kick!

They are also great because while some people like it with olives and green chile (like me) it can easily be omitted while baking and added in later after it has been served. My sister and dad like them with sour cream (yuck...but that's just me!). You can also play with the recipe to add different flavors. They are great for potlucks, frozen for a later date, or as left overs (which there won't be this time around with my brother still visiting!)


New Mexican Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
(This recipe comes to my family from my Aunt Mona who found it  20+ years ago in a magazine) 
 


What you will need:
13x9 Baking Glass Pan (you can use the disposable aluminum pans)
Rubber Spatula
Kitchen Aid Mixer or Mixing Bowl
Cutting Board
Can Opener

Ingredients:
4-5 Thawed Chicken Breasts (you can also use a cooked rotisserie chicken if so skip directions 1 and 2)
2 cans or 1 large can Cream of Chicken
1 can Evaporated Milk
1 16oz bag of Mexican Cheese (another one that you can switch to your preferred cheese)   
1 2.5oz can Black Sliced Olives
1 Bag Flour Tortillas (the amount changes depending on how many layers you make)
1T of softened butter (to grease the pan, you can use less or more)
2 cubes of Chicken Bouillon or the equivalent in Chicken broth
Desired amount of New Mexico Hatch Green Chile
Desired toppings  

  
1. In a large pot, fill with water and add bouillon (or chicken broth).
2. Bring water to a boil and add chicken.
3. When chicken is cooked, cut into bite size pieces. (If using a rotisserie chicken, pull off bite size pieces with no skin.)


4. Preheat oven to 350F.
5. Mix the cream of chicken, evaporated milk, olives, green chile, and chopped chicken.
6. Grease the glass pan. 
7. Tear apart the tortillas and fit them into the pan so that they cover the bottom.
It will look like a puzzle. Cover the whole bottom!
8. Pour the mixture and spread it out evenly so that it covers the tortillas. Reserve about half of the mixture. 
Spread it around, don't be shy.
9. Sprinkle cheese on top of the first layer.
 10. Begin a new layer by tearing apart more tortillas and fitting them on top of the cheese. 
11. Pour the remaining mixture over the tortillas. (There will probably be a small amount leftover, that is okay. My siblings and I used to fight over who would get to snack on the leftovers. There are no raw ingredients at this point so snack away!)
12. Sprinkle a healthy amount of cheese on top. 
I would even use more that what I have pictured...I ran out of cheese... you'll see why in a moment :(
13. Place into the oven and cook for thirty minutes or until the cheese is starting to look crispy on top. 
 See? I made two! One with green chile and olives and one without. My sister had a friend over at the last minute who can't tolerate the hotness of the chile and while I had enough ingredients to make two enchiladas...I didn't anticipate how much cheese would be needed. Oh well, still came out yummy!
14. Remove from the oven and let the enchiladas sit for about five minutes to cool down. (We always skip this step because we are too impatient :p)
15. Serve yourself! 
Warning it will be messy!
This meal goes great with a glass of milk! I would pair it with a nice salad too :) I really hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.Share your enchilada recipes with me in the comments!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment